LA FONDERIE'S HISTORICAL BUILDING EVOLUTION
The Foundry, whose architecture is in the "classical modern" style, is located at 211 Montcalm Street in Gatineau along the Rapibus transit system. It bears witness to the industrial vocation of the ancient city of Hull. The lower part of the building was built in 1913-14 by Hull Iron and Steel Foundries, the fourth largest iron and steel processing industry in Canada. Its production of various materials has contributed to national defense, the construction of railways and various mining activities.
Between 1928 and 1929, a first extension was built and in 1942-1943 the company built the large production building over the old factory. Architects Richards and Abra designed the plans and Brunet et Fils completed the construction work. The impressive dimensions of the glazed surface place La Fonderie in a more recent and perhaps exceptional architectural style for the 1940s. In 1946, the company ended its activities.
In 1948, the Hull Manufacturing Company Limited purchased the former industrial complex and sold it in 1949 to J.H. Connor & Son Limited. The appliance manufacturer subsequently adapted the interior of the main building. In 1960, the company sold the building.
Between 1974 and 1977, the National Capital Commission purchased the property and sold it in 2000 to the City of Hull. The city, which was seeking a new vocation to the building, authorized, after various consultations, Soccer Outaouais to set up a multisport center.
In 2003, the new City of Gatineau undertook renovations at La Fonderie and, in April 2004, Gestion ARSO built a multisport area and two artificial turf fields. The Gatineau Multisport Center opened in June 2004.